Ultimate Call-to-Action GuideSeptember 7, 2017
What is a call-to-action (CTA)?
A call-to-action is a link or button that takes prospective customers from a piece of content they’ve shown interest in, onto a separate page (known as a landing page) containing relevant information and an offer that is strong enough to entice them to complete an enquiry form.
In other words, your call-to-action generates leads for your business.
Here are some examples you probably see everyday:
- Sign up for a free 30-day trial
- Book your consultation
- Reserve a table
- Search cheap flights
How to create an effective CTA
- Clear and compelling offer: Let people know exactly what’s on offer in a clear and concise manner. Keep the word count to a minimum. Use action verbs and statements like “Get free copy”, “Watch exclusive video”, “Register your interest” or “Take the quiz”. These are concise, yet more detailed and less vague than “Download” or “Buy”.
- Contrasting colour for your CTA button - make it stand out and easy to find. It’s like a big red button you just can’t help but click. (Note: doesn’t have to be red!)
- Above the fold - this means whatever is shown on the user’s screen when they first land on your website, without having to scroll. Ensure this is where your CTA is found.
- Make the landing page relevant - an effective CTA button will generate a click through to the landing page. If it’s not relevant to the reason the user clicked in the first place, you’ll lose that lead. So take time to ensure the landing page is highly relevant and gives the best possible opportunity for converting a prospective customer into a lead.
- Test your CTA - you absolutely should test your CTA with different variations, wording and colours to see which performs and resonates best with the market.
- Track your results - use Google Analytics to track the performance of your CTAs and lead goals.
When to use a CTA
You can use CTAs for many different purposes, that’s what makes them so great. They’re especially useful for small businesses and startups looking to increase lead opportunities and grow their business. They can be used on your website, or over social media and other marketing avenues, like Facebook Advertising.
Use CTAs if you want to:
Generate Leads & Nurture Clients
Use CTAs to generate leads. Great for use in high-profile locations like social media posts/adverts and informative blog posts on your website to gather customer data (emails, names, phone numbers etc.) so you can continue to market to them going forwards.
If gathering data is your first primary aim, explore other avenues such as offering free eBooks, trials or other compelling ideas.
The most important factor in business. Closing the sale and making money.
Depending on your product or service, you may be working on a “retargeting” strategy (nurturing leads who have already shown interest), or closing a sale on first visit.
Understand your business and use a CTA effectively to drive the necessary conversion.
Consider the effectiveness of coupons, free shipping and 2 for 1 offers as some basic and time-tested sale conversion strategies.
Build Brand Awareness & Social Media Presence
Make it easy for your readers to share your content over social media so you can increase your brand awareness in the marketplace.
This is an effective strategy if you’re publishing lots of blog content or work in an industry that has appeal to a large number of potential customers.
Make available easy social media icons for people to click on to automatically share your content.
Follow the above strategies and you’ll be well on your way to creating your very own successful call-to-actions to drive conversions for your business!
Written by: Simon Welford
Categorised in: Business Growth